ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT FOR ADULTS
Orthodontic treatment is no longer restricted to teens alone. Indeed, the American Association of Orthodontists reports that one in every five orthodontic patients is beyond the age of 21. Many people seek therapy because they understand the importance of maintaining their health and wish to enhance their appearance. Adults worldwide may now get orthodontic treatment, and you can too.
COMMON CAUSES REASONS FOR ADULTS TO CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
The possibility of wearing metal braces is enough to discourage many people from getting treatment. On the other hand, modern orthodontic treatment options include a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetically acceptable, and customized to your unique needs. Braces are classed as follows:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADULT ORTHODONTICS AND CHILDREN AND TEENS ORTHODONTICS:
The jawbones of adults are completely grown, whereas those of children and adolescents are still developing. Adults may have orthognathic surgery to correct their jawbones, since these bones have completed their development. Some of the other distinctions are as follows:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Gum recession and even bone loss are more common in adults than in children owing to gingivitis or severe periodontal disease. Gum disease is less frequent in those who have straighter teeth.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth may wear down and shift into different positions, which can only be corrected by orthodontic treatment. As a consequence of missing teeth, other teeth may shift and tilt, resulting in a bad bite and an increased risk of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many people began orthodontic treatment when they were youngsters or adolescents but never completed it. They make the decision to complete their orthodontic treatment as adults in order to get the healthy, beautiful smile they’ve always wanted.
Our approach recognizes that adults and children have different needs and need different degrees of attention and care. We’ll collaborate with you to ensure that you get the finest possible care and that your needs are met with empathy and respect on our end.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are correctly aligned are simpler to floss and brush, and they may also assist to avoid other health issues.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help you feel more confident about yourself, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without worry!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — You risk developing long-term health concerns if you don’t undergo orthodontic treatment when you need it, which will cost you more money in the long run.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our office to schedule an appointment. We understand how busy your schedule is, and we will do all we can to make each office visit as convenient as possible.